Sunday, November 6, 2016

Overdue

That Man, which is how the male half of the fraternal twins I nanny (and who turn 3 tomorrow!) refers to My Man, has been after me to update for QUITE a while now . . . but finding the time is - ACK! - so hard!  So, it's all on me.  Don't blame him!  ;)

At the last installment, you'd learned about the disaster that we discovered upon ripping up "the bad spot" in the trailer where we'd been told we'd need to do some work.

Insert hysterical laughter.

"Some work."  Uh-huh, right.  Well, I don't know how much I should spill ahead of time, but I think My Man would say that had he known what we'd find, he would have demo-ed the entire trailer down to the frame and started over.  And I don't think that's an exaggeration.

The "bad spot" became bigger and bigger as he tore it out.  There was layer upon layer of rot and ineffective patches.  Eventually, he was down to the trailer's factory frame, and the ground below was exposed!

The picture above gives a wider angle of the damage.  The area on the right was where the bed sat, on top of the hot water heater (which is the white square you see).  But, the demo had to continue until we found firm footing in the flooring.



 The floor studs were so rotted that they literally fell apart in damp handfulls.

When I returned from the rental cabin (I clean for friends) one afternoon, the bathroom was G-O-N-E.  The rot had continued throughout that portion of the floor AND up the interior wall that separated the bathroom and bedroom area!

The above is an image of where the floor was underneath the tub in the bathroom.  If you biggify it, you can see the dark base of the far wall.  That, my friends, is black, rotted wood.  You can also see the frame of the trailer here as well as one of the jacks that the trailer was supposed to be resting on.  Which it ain't.

Here's a selfie of us with a "sturdier" piece of the rotted wood that was holding the back end of the trailer together.  (Actually, I think the aluminum skin was the only thing holding the back end of the trailer together!)

Further examination revealed that the wall studs had soaked up the years of water damage and were also rotted out.  So, after tearing off all the interior paneling, we cut the damage out from the bottom up, planning to sister on new studs once we'd built a new floor!

Above is an action-shot of the Sawz-All-ing of the rotted studs.

If you've ever wondered how much insulation is in a 1982 travel trailer, it ain't much!  The studs are only 2" deep, and a little rolled insulation (which quickly soaks up moisture) was all that lay between the thin veneer interior paneling and exterior metal skin.  We were soon pulling out rotted, mildewed insulation, too.

Meanwhile, I decided to go for some immediate (and positive) gratification by beginning the exterior scrubbing process.  Did I mention that this trailer hadn't been moved in 20 years?  I don't think it had been washed once, either.

Fast-forward a couple of weeks to the next chance we had to really attack the project.  My Man was still working his full-time job a couple of hours away and could be here for just a couple of days at a stretch.  While he'd worked on the trailer all day, I'd been away either nannying or cleaning.  When I arrived at the trailer at the end of the day, he met me at the truck with a funny little grin on his face.  "I may have pulled something a little too hard", he said.

Oops. 

Well, that gives us better access to the trailer's frame in the back end, right?!

And, I'll leave it there for now.  I need sleep.



 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, good gawd! Let's hope this warmish fall weather keeps going long enough for you two to at least get the outside back together! I bet it's going to be a nice, snug winter in your (tiny) cabin...Ah, love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, jeez! Makes me snicker at those early pictures of you cleaning the stove. I guess you guys are learning how to build a trailer from scratch. It's going to be so cozy and great when you are done!!!! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete